Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

37 Weeks-Full Term (and C-Section scheduled)!

We are full term today, YAY! Good job, James. <3 If he were born today, his lungs would be developed enough to support himself...but some 34 weekers are born that way. Regardless, 37 weeks is a great milestone!

We had a semi-big day today. We had the ECV done, and it wasn't successful. James is just happy right where he is! We got to the hospital around 7:30 and they had me hooked up to the monitors by 8:10, and James's heart rate and my vitals were great. He was wiggly, but cooperated. Then we waited. And waited some more. And then (surprise!) had some more time to pass by waiting. They had to do an emergency c-section on another patient, and that was, of course, a higher priority than my ECV. My friend Beth asked if there was any update and I said that the doctor is doing an emergency c-section. I forgot to mention that it was on someone else, oops!

The team of nurses and doctors were awesome! There was only one nurse that was a grumpy gill. As my OB had previously mentioned, some doctors like to use an epidural during an ECV, and others do not. The doctor that was on staff today does not like using epidurals for an ECV because then the mother's gauge of pain is thrown off-and if it's incredibly painful for the mom, they need to know that because they don't want to hurt baby. The success rate is only 50/50 for ECV's, and even though the higher fluid levels can make it easier to move a baby, it also means that the baby is more likely to not stay head down, so our chances weren't very high to begin with. The procedure was uncomfortable and was quite painful, but I am glad that we tried. I did laugh at first because it was ticklish, then the pain overrode the tickling. They said they had never had someone laugh during the procedure...but I also tend to giggle during ultrasounds. It gets awkward. They were able to move his legs, but his head wouldn't move very much. Once they left the room, the moved right back into the position that he was in when we started. Ha! I guess he found a comfortable spot. There is a slight chance he will move head-down by himself, but it's not very likely, and even if he did move head down, he'd probably go head-up again anyway because of the higher fluid levels.

He's also in an odd position-he's sort of sideways, but he's face up with his legs underneath him. I can't figure it out, either. A baby is in distress when the heart rate drops, but his heart rate rose because he was moving and wiggling. I think he might have liked it, silly boy. They monitored us for two hours after the attempted ECV and we were both doing well. My pulse was high, but that was because of a uterine relaxant they gave me. It felt like I had an overly caffeinated beverage. We left the hospital around 2:30pm, got some food and water (by that point I had been fasting for about 18 hours...I was pretty cranky-sorry, Matt!), came home, and slept. I didn't sleep well last night because I was anxious and had horrible heartburn, so it was nice to take a nap. My belly is sore, like someone punched it, and I was instructed to take Tylenol. It seems to be helping. I'm so glad Matt was able to be with me today! He only has two more shifts on the night shift, then he switches back to days. Woohoo! He was such a sweetheart, stroking my hair and holding my hand during the procedure. I love being married to my best friend. :) James is so lucky to have him as his daddy, he doesn't even know!

So, in summary, I am scheduled to have a c-section on Tuesday, May 7 in the morning. Yay! I only have 3 more nonstress tests, 1 OB appointment, 1 growth scan, and a pre-op appointment left before we get to meet our baby boy! My mom is flying up May 5. I can't wait to see her. :)

Babies typically gain half a pound a week during the last 4 weeks, so James is somewhere around 8 pounds right now based on the ultrasound 8 days ago. According to baby websites, he's either 6 1/3 pounds (baby center) or 6.2-9.2 pounds (thebump)...but The Bump has that range for each week from now until 40 weeks. He's probably around 19-20 inches. It feels like he's six feet tall already. Those legs sure can kick!

James is the size of a winter melon or the length of a stalk of swiss chard (ew).

 

He is continuing to add layers of fat (hence the 1/2 pound weight gain) and his lungs are continuing to develop. His head diameter is over 3.5 inches. Oh my goodness, he's getting so big.

Size=accurate(ish). Position=nowhere close.


I have been working on some sewing projects for James, including bow ties, bibs, burp cloths, and a swaddle wrap.




  
Sewing has been a way to keep my mind busy so I don't freak out about the fact that I'm going to be a mom in 2 weeks. I am so excited, but nervous, too. We are just so ridiculously blessed!

Let's add some humor to our day!

Not James's exact position, but this sums it up. ;)


Have a great week! :)

2 comments:

  1. Im sorry that the ECV didnt work but being able to know the actual birth day and having your mom there is going to be amazing! You will have time to have your hair done and outfit picked out! :) Plus you wont have to push for 2 hours :) Prayers coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your posts (even if it is a repeat from our phone conversations : ) James is blessed to have a wonderful mommy and daddy! The bow ties are ADORABLE! The Sponge Bob swaddle wrap makes me giggle! So glad that you are enjoying your sewing machine and making all sorts of creative baby things. You'll be holding him in your arms very soon...

    ReplyDelete