Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

34 Weeks

Oh. My. Goodness. We will be parents within 5 weeks (May 7). FIVE WEEKS! That's a mere 35 days. 35 days! (Can you tell this is still sinking in?) We are so excited! I'm more nervous/anxious than Matt is, but that's typical. We have both been nesting, and I don't think our apartment has ever been more clean or organized. Having my mom here to help us encouraged the nesting instinct, I think. She was the baby laundry queen.

Baby James is continuing to put on more weight in the form of fat. He (still) weighs between 4.2-5.8 pounds and is getting closer to 18 inches. We'll find out a closer estimate of his weight at his next growth scan on April 15. He is either a cantaloupe or butternut squash, both of which have already been used. I guess I should say he is the size/weight of either a cantaloupe or butternut squash. He is still a baby.




And for a more realistic portrayal:
He is responding to voices more, especially Matt's...which is just the most precious thing ever. :) His fingernails have reached the end of his fingertips. He continues to wiggle quite a bit. Usually he'll be very active for a day or two, then more quiet for a day or two. Of course I start worrying when he's not moving as much, because I am a worrier...but he's doing just fine! Antibodies are crossing through the placenta building up his immune system, while his skin is less wrinkly because his fat is building up. He'll be our little chunky monkey! He is also urinating a pint a day. Productive!

My mom and I went to the Childbirth Prep class on Saturday. It was informative and the instructor was great. The class went over the basics of childbirth, like going natural and pain options, why a c-section would be necessary, how an induction works, and what happens after the baby is delivered. As long as everything goes as planned and both of us are fine, baby James and I will be able to bond for an hour or so after birth and try to breastfeed. Then it's bath time! Matt gets to help the corpsman with that. Two or so hours after birth we'll be transferred into a postpartum room, where we'll stay for 48 hours. We will probably let family in to the room after the first hour of bonding time. The labor and delivery takes place in one room, and it has a nice layout. It is a hospital so it has a sterile atmosphere, but isn't as militaristic as I anticipated. All the nurses we ran into were very friendly. I would have a hard time being an L&D nurse, putting up with (mostly) cranky women all day. 

The nursery is almost done! We just need to anchor the bookshelf...and I think that's it. It looks wonderful. It is very bright and happy, as it should be. :)

One of the great baby shower gifts I received was a sewing machine from my Navy support group (mostly Navy moms). We started making a nursing cover with it, yay! I am excited to finish that up. I'm also working on some nursing pads. 

My mom bought this precious little hat for James at the NEX when we were leaving the hospital (and I was taking her to the airport). Navy pride!


Happy Tuesday, everyone. Hope you have a great week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment