Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

10 Weeks, 4 Days

It has been a crazy week so far! On Sunday we went to Busch Gardens and had a blast! It was so much fun to spend time with Brian and Katie, as always. :) I didn't go on any rides, but did a fair amount of walking. This triggered sciatica in my left hip/leg that got so bad Sunday night I couldn't put weight on my left leg. Luckily, rubbing the nerve and a heating pad helped. I'm still having hip pain, but that could be from the pregnancy hormones or gout issues. It's not debilitating, so that makes me happy!

I was spotting on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but it got a lot worse on Monday, so that evening we went to the ER. They took blood, urine, and did an ultrasound. The external ultrasound didn't show anything, but they did a transvaginal ultrasound and...WE SAW OUR BABY!!!! It was so perfect, and looked like a little gummy bear! We saw the little heart beating (around 150 bpm, which is great). It was such a relief to see that our little one is safe and moving around a bit in his cozy home. I'm so glad Matt was there with me, even though the ER visit ended up lasting 6 hours (there was confusion with the blood work, and the doctor forgot to order a test from the Pap Smear they did, so we had to wait much longer than we should have) and he only got two hours of sleep after having to work Tuesday. The doctor wouldn't let us take a picture of the ultrasound (or do a printout of it), which is irritating, but I understand it wasn't a normal ultrasound visit...they were just doing it to make sure the pregnancy was going ok. My spotting is almost nonexistent now. I think I pushed myself too much at Busch Gardens, so I need to take it easy. All the other tests came back ok, and I finally found out my blood type! It was exhausting and stressful, but I am so glad we were able to see our little baby! Looking at other women's ultrasounds, it looks like I may be closer to 9 weeks than 10 weeks, but I'll get more info at my next appointment (which is October 26, with an actual OB, and will include an ultrasound that I'll hopefully get a printout of!).

I had my first appointment yesterday at Portsmouth, but it was a group informational meeting with a nurse, not an OB. We filled out a bunch of paperwork and the nurse went over processes and procedures, resources, and classes. I feel much more organized now (which, as you know, is very important to me! :)). There are quite a few classes offered for free, so I/we will go to as many as possible. Some of them have freebies, too, which I won't turn down! After the meeting, I got blood work done, gave another urine sample, then got my flu shot. I was not going to get a flu shot because the only two years I got the shot, I got the flu, so I'm not fully convinced that it helps. However, because Matt works in a hospital and is exposed to many different things and probably exposes me to some of those bugs, we decided that it would be best for me to get the shot. Now my arms and hands hurt from the seven needles/IV's I've gotten the past two days, but baby is worth it!

An appointment was scheduled for me this afternoon, but it was with a midwife. Because I'm considered higher risk (borderline high BP, asthma, hypothyroidism, surgical history, the meds I'm on, etc.) I need to see an actual OB, so that's why my appointment was moved. I wish I could get in sooner, but Matt has the 26th off, so he can go with me and we can see the baby again together! I will also feel more comfortable with an OB because of my history. From this point forward, all my pregnancy-related appointments will be at Portsmouth (not at any area clinics). That's good, because I get the best care there, but parking can be crazy! I'm glad Matt was able to guide me around the hospital and explain the parking garage to me. The garage is definitely not as organized at BAMC in San Antonio because there are two main buildings at Portsmouth, and it's easy to confuse them. The aisles are also pretty narrow and people drive like they're not in an enclosed space, which is stressful. Oh, well! I'll get more comfortable with the parking situation over time, but need to allow extra time for parking (depending on the time, it can be hard to find a spot) and walking to the women's health area of the hospital.

My nausea/vomiting has been better overall (more nausea than vomiting), but today hasn't been great. I'm not sure if the flu shot has anything to do with it, but I'm not feeling great today. That's ok, because that means baby is doing well. :)

I'm having a hard time getting comfortable at night. Sleeping on my side hurts my hips, but sleeping on my back hurts my back (and sleeping on my stomach isn't an option). I've found myself changing positions more frequently during the night so I'm not putting pressure on any one area for too long.

My mom is coming up for Thanksgiving, and I can not WAIT to see her!!! It will be so nice to spend time with her and to get together with the family. My dad and brother won't be coming, though, and I really miss them. I might try to go down to Florida, but it depends on how I'm doing as the pregnancy progresses.

I'm not sure if I will be looking for a job in the coming weeks. Both of our moms feel very strongly about me not working and taking easy, and I would like to, but we need to discuss it further and with the doctor. I plan on taking it easy and relaxing as much as possible. Luckily, I have the best husband in the world that does almost all of the chores, goes grocery shopping/other errands, and makes sure I have whatever I need. He has been so wonderful, and I'm so lucky to be married to him. He'll be an amazing dad!

I am looking forward to a family wedding on October 20, and my appointment October 26. And for May, 2013. :)

Happy Wednesday!

P.S. Sirius wanted to dog-ear this page. HA!


No comments:

Post a Comment