Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Friday, October 12, 2012

10 Weeks, 6 Days


This post might be too much TMI for the guys, so heads up! (Sorry for the weird white background on the text. I can't figure out how to fix it.)

When I went to the ER Monday night, they did a bunch of tests and everything was ok, except that one of the swabs they took showed that I have bacterial vaginosis. The doctor said it's not a big deal and he was going to give me a topical cream to apply. Ok, cool. Fast forward to last night, when Matt gets home with the Rx (the pharmacy waiting times were 2 hours on Tuesday and Wednesday, hence the 2-day delay in getting the Rx), and it's Monistat 3, used to treat yeast infections. I'm thinking, ok, the doctor must know something I don't about this. So I googled it. Not only is Monistat-3 not good for treating anything but yeast infections, but Monistat-7 is the dosage that is supposed to be given to pregnant women. Also, Monistat is Category C. Matt and I decided to call the OB nurse in the morning and for me not to take the Monistat. 

I called the nurse this morning, and she confirmed that Monistat isn't an appropriate drug for bacterial vaginosis. She said they couldn't get me in for at least a week, and to call my regular provider. I called my regular provider, left a message for the nurse explaining the situation, and she called me back....and told me to call my OB. AGH! So I told her that they told me to call them (and that they couldn't get me in to be seen for a bit), and she said she needed to talk to the doctor again. 

She called me back a little bit ago, and the doctor said the medicine normally prescribed for BV is not recommended for pregnancy, and to eat yogurt and not to eat carbs or sugar. I'm not doubting the effectiveness of yogurt, but the thought of eating that is nauseating. With my m/s I can only keep carbs (bagels, toast, potatoes, cereal, etc.) down. Also, how do I know if the infection went away? I didn't know I even had it in the first place!

I'm just really frustrated by the ER doctor's mistake and lack of explanation and kind of lost as to what I should do now (besides attempting to eat yogurt). 

Update: I did some google research on BV during pregnancy, and it’s typically treated by oral antibiotics (Category B, safer for baby than Monistat), but those antibiotics aren’t good to take until the second trimester. BV is associated with preterm labor, but a lot of women (about 20%) get BV during pregnancy, and many don’t know it for a while. It seems like it can be hard to treat and can be recurring. 

Matt and I decided that I’ll try yogurt, see how I feel, and decide how to proceed next week. If I do need to be seen, I’d rather go to the OB (more experience in prenatal drugs and BV) but might not be able to get in for a bit. I could always just wait until my next appointment (October 26), but that seems so far away.

I guess the worrying has started…or, as my mom would probably say, is continuing. It’s hard to balance what is best for my body and what’s best for baby. Last night I felt like a horrible mother for getting the flu shot after reading some comments about women who had a miscarriage after getting the flu shot. Statistically, about 20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, so the chance of the flu shot causing that is extremely rare. These hormones are not helping my worries and mood swings.

Matt, you’re the best! Thank you for putting up with me.

Otherwise, things are ok. Nausea/Vomiting is varying in intensity (yesterday was horrible, today is good), and although I’m having trouble getting comfortable, I am sleeping ok.

Thanks for reading! J

No comments:

Post a Comment